For Cleansing, Balancing, Healing and Rejuvenation
Panchakarma (five actions) is a cleansing and rejuvenating program for the body, mind and consciousness. It is known for its beneficial effects on overall health, wellness and self-healing.
We are taking every effort to ensure the safety of our guests and staff during this time. Visit our COVID-19 Protocols page for details and the measures we take to ensure your safety.
Contact us at (505) 291-9698, Ext. 114 or by email at Panchakarma.
- Eliminate toxins and toxic conditions from your body and mind.
- Restore your constitutional balance improving health and wellness.
- Strengthen your immune system and become more resistant to illness.
- Reverse the negative effects of stress on your body and mind thereby slowing the aging process.
- Enhance your self-reliance, strength, energy, vitality and mental clarity.
- Bring about deep relaxation and sense of well-being.
Our Natural State
According to Ayurveda, our natural state is one of health, happiness and an inner sense of well-being. Health is defined as the body being clear of toxins, the mind is at peace, emotions are calm and happy, wastes are efficiently eliminated and organs are functioning normally. In a busy, stressful and toxic world, our physical and mental systems accumulate toxins causing deterioration in bodily functioning. This eventually weakens our systems, which opens the door for chronic, degenerative, and non-specific diseases to develop. These can evolve into serious specific diseases, ultimately damaging an individual’s health and wellness.
Panchakarma can help by reversing these negative effects of daily living. It can restore your natural state of health and wellness by cleansing your body of toxins, bringing balance into your system and improving bodily function. It can also help you sustain this process by making positive changes in lifestyle.
The Panchakarma therapeutic process appears quite simple in its application. However, its effects are powerful and long-lasting. Panchakarma is a unique, natural, holistic, health-giving series of therapeutic treatments that cleanse the body’s deep tissues of toxins, open the subtle channels, bring life-enhancing energy thereby increasing vitality, inner peace, confidence and well-being.
Our Panchakarma Program
Our five-day program, designed by Vasant Lad, BAM&S, MASc, and based on his 40+ years of clinical Ayurvedic and allopathic experience, is custom-tailored to your current state of health, wellness and constitution. It is the starting point to pro-actively manage and improve your own health and wellness. Personal attention is given to each client’s specific needs.
Our Basic Panchakarma Program includes:
- An orientation on Sunday evening before your program begins on Monday.
- A complete Ayurvedic assessment including a pulse evaluation.
- A customized herbal protocol.
- Daily Ayurvedic treatments of approximately two hours consisting of: Abhyanga (a two-person synchronized oil massage), Swedana (individual herbalized sweat therapy), Shirodhara (pouring of warm oil to the forehead), Udhulana (herbalized dusting of the body).
- One chromo (color) therapy session.
- Special Ayuryoga® classes that assist in eliminating toxins and doshas, and have a therapeutic and restorative effect on the system.
- Daily check-ins with your Panchakarma Consultant throughout the week to monitor your cleansing process
- A special therapeutic diet of kitchari and herbal teas provided daily. All of the food and tea served is 100% organic.
- Lifestyle and diet recommendations specific to each individual.
- Free attendance of Ayurvedic education classes with Vasant Lad, Monday-Thursday, 6-9 PM when the Ayurvedic Studies Program is in session, or by his advanced students when Vasant Lad is not available.
- A supportive environment that provides space for true contemplation and self-healing.
- Recommendations for herbal rasayanas (rejuvenatives) for you to take after panchakarma.
- Post-panchakarma health and wellness program for healthy diet, exercise and lifestyle practices.
The Following Services are Available at an Additional Charge:
- Optional private yoga sessions.
- Additional subtle therapy treatments that may be prescribed.
- Comfortable housing nearby conducive to a healing, quiet and supportive environment.
Panchakarma Department Manager
Ed Danaher is the manager of the Panchakarma Department at the Ayurvedic Institute in Albuquerque, New Mexico.He first studied Ayurveda with Maharishi Ayurveda while at the university. Later, he worked as an Ayurvedic panchakarma therapist at Maharishi Ayurveda Clinic in Fairfield, Iowa. He has been studying Ayurveda with Vasant Lad at the Ayurvedic Institute for more than 24 years. After graduating from the Ayurvedic Studies Program, he completed the Gurukula Advanced Studies Program and was subsequently licensed as a massage therapist to continue his work as a panchakarma therapist.
As the panchakarma department grew, Ed became department coordinator and ultimately department manager. In this position, he works intensively on a one-to-one basis with Vasant Lad, practicing the advanced and finer points of Ayurveda. As department manager, he is responsible for daily follow-up with panchakarma clients, training new panchakarma therapists, department planning, and oversight of daily operations. Since 1997, the panchakarma department has remained open when Vasant Lad is not in residence, at which time Ed sees clients and is responsible for all evaluations and consultations.
Manager of the Panchakarma Department since 1988, Ed Danaher works closely on an almost daily basis with Vasant Lad, BAM&S, MASc, consulting with clients and directly overseeing their panchakarma programs. A skilled panchakarma therapist, he has been a student of Vasant Lad's throughout this time. He is experienced in pulse analysis and all forms of panchakarma therapy as well as dietary and lifestyle consulting.
In the past 30+ years, I have personally supervised more than 8,000 clients in their panchakarma programs. Panchakarma may seem simple, but it begins a process that brings about significant shifts in body, mind and spirit. Clients move toward renewed health and wellness in ways that they often have been unable to achieve otherwise.
*Some people spell panchakarma as two words: pancha meaning five and karma meaning action. Pancha karma means the same as panchakarma.